Laura Streyle and Stoughton staff small

Adviser Laura Streyle poses with the staff of the North Star, the Stoughton High School student newspaper. They received a grant of $2,000 that they will use to help students attend the 2017 JEA / NSPA National Journalism Convention.

The Norse Star, Stoughton High School’s student newspaper, and The Prowl, Belleville High School’s student newspaper, each received a grant in the amount of $2,000 from The Evjue Foundation, Inc., the charitable arm of The Capital Times, on May 12, 2017.

The Norse Star staff will use these funds for registration fees for 18 student journalists, who will attend the 2017 JEA/NSPA National Journalism Convention in San Francisco.

“As a group, we could all agree that this trip will teach us new skills that will help us as journalists,” Norse Star staff writer, Nadia Dede, said. “It will teach us how to be good travelers, as well.” Dede added, “We’re very fortunate to be able to go.”

Laura Streyle is The Norse Star adviser. Her JEA mentor is Dave Wallner.

Teachers Erik Farrar and Elizabeth Miller at Belleville High School used the application as a learning tool for the Newspaper Production class.

Adam Gaff at work small

Adam Gaff, shown in this classroom photo, was one of the chief writers of the The Prowl’s grant request.

One student in particular, Adam Gaff, recognized the significance of the grant in helping provide stability for the paper and ensuring that future printing cost would be covered.  Gaff played an integral part in filling out the application and following up to make sure the application was received by The Evjue Foundation.

This grant has created a huge sense of pride and relief knowing that The Prowl will continue for years to come.

Farrar and Miller’s JEA mentor, Dave Wallner, suggested they apply for the grant.